I'M SO SO SORRY, PLEASE LET ME EXPLAIN:
So it's been over a month since I last blogged, and I bet you all are wondering why. There has been so much going on here in Egypt including the storming of the Israeli embassy, the burning of the Christian church is upper Egypt, and most recently, the outrageous killing of over 24 people while they were protesting for religious rights. The stories are never ending, the human rights violations persist, the people of Egypt, both Muslims and Christians are highly frustrated, and I myself was struggling with dealing with the racism and harassment I experience everyday....
Through all of this, I have really had to dig deep to make myself understand why things are the way they are here, and to also understand why my experience has been so sour compared to all of the wonderful things that I have heard about Cairo. And now, a month later....I am happy to announce that I have found my groove here.
First, when walking on the streets, I avoid eye contact and do not respond to anything people say to me (Rabiah's best advice ever!!). Also, I plug my ears and listen to my fave tunes on my blackberry! I go to the gym almost everyday after work, and have found a trainer here "Captain Eslam" and have developed a sense of community there. I went to dinner with a group of Californians, arranged by Rabiah and the chain of networks yielded 8 folks at the dinner. There, I met my friend Carrie, who is an African-American girl studying at the American University of Cairo and she has been a great buddy. Ironically, I recognized her face at dinner because she was on Cal's track and field team when we were undergraduates. She understands my "black" experience here, so I have found comfort in both her companionship and her advice. I also met a group of friends, again through Rabiah, because she met a lady at the airport named Sylvia who has a teaching contract here for 2 years, as does her roommate, Summer, who is an AKA like me. :)
I've been on a few boat parties, pics to come, to house gatherings, etc...and I am finally enjoying my stay. Now, for all that you missed this last month, I will make it up in the next few posts.....
GLAD TO FINALLY BE HAPPY AGAIN, I MISS YOU ALL WITH ALL OF MY HEART!!!!!
With love,
Candace
No comments:
Post a Comment